University of California, San Diego
Department of Communication, 0503
9500 Gilman DriveLa Jolla, CA 92093-0503
Phone: (858) 822-2695
Winter 2014: Tu/Th 2-3 (or by appointment), MCC 124b
Ph.D. in American Studies, Yale University, 1991
BFA in Film and Television, Tisch School of the Arts, New York University, 1982
Whitney Museum of American Art Independent Study Program (1983)
Film and media studies, feminist and sexuality studies; disability studies; visual culture in science, health and medicine
- How to Have Social Media in an Invisible Pandemic: Hepatitis C in the Time of H1N1. Media Studies Futures, Volume 6, ed. Anghy Valdivia and Kelly A. Gates, Wiley Blackwell, 215-240 (2013).
- The Hands of the Animator: Rotoscopic Projection, Condensation, and Repetition Automatism in the Fleischer Apparatus. Body and Society 18(1), 47-78 (2012).
- The Hands of the Projectionist. Science in Context 24(3), 443-64 (2011).
- Moral Spectatorship: Technologies of Voice and Affect in Postwar Representations of the Child (Duke University Press, 2008)
- Images of Waiting Children: The Visual Culture of Transnational Adoption (Duke University Press, forthcoming 2008)
- Practices of Looking: An Introduction to Visual Culture, co-authored with Marita Sturken (Oxford University Press, 2001; Second Edition, Oxford University Press, 2008)
- Screening the Body: Tracing Medicine's Visual Culture (University of Minnesota Press, 1995)
- The Visible Woman: Imaging Technologies, Gender and Science, coedited with Puala Treichler and Constance Penley (NYU Press, 1998)
- Mandy (1952): on Voice and Listening in the (Deaf) Maternal Melodrama, in the bookMedicine's Moving Pictures: Medicine, Health, and Bodies in American Film and Television, ed. Leslie J. Reagan, Nancy Tomes, and Paula A. Treichler (University of Rochester Press, 2008)
- Imagination, Multimodality and Embodied Interaction: A Discussion of Sound and Movement in Two Cases of Laboratory and Clinical Magnetic Resonance Imaging, co-authored with Morana Alac, in Science Images and Popular Images of the Sciences, ed. Bernd Huppauf and Peter Weingart (Routledge, 2007)
- Shame, Empathy and Looking Practices: Masked Woman in a Wheelchair in a Disability Studies Classroom," co-authored with David Benin, Journal of Visual Culture Vol. 5, No. 2, 155-171 (2006)
- Spectatorship and Pity: Representations of the Global Social Orphan in the 1990s," Cultures of Transnational Adoption, ed. Toby Volkman (Duke University Press, 2005)
- On the Subject of Neural Prosthesis, co-authored with Brian Goldfarb, The Prosthetic Impulse: From a Posthuman Present to a Biocultural Future, ed. Joanne Morra and Marquard Smith (MIT, 2005)
- "'Emergencies of Survival': Moral Spectatorship and the 'New Vision of the Child' in Postwar Child Psychoanalysis," Journal of Visual Culture 3, no 1 (2004)