Paul M. ChurchlandPhilosophy
University of California, San Diego
Department of Philosophy, 0119
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0119
Phone: (858) 534-4883
Fax: (858) 534-8566
Current research interests lie in the philosophy of science, the philosophy of mind, artificial intelligence and cognitive neurobiology, epistemology, and perception.
Selected Articles & Publications
- "The Engine of Reason, The Seat of the Soul: A Philosophical Journey into the Brain MIT Press, 1995).
- A Neurocomputational Perspective: The Nature of Mind and the Structure of Science, MIT Press, 1989.
- Images of Science: Scientific Realism versus Constructive Empiricism, University of Chicago Press, 1985.
- Matter and Consciousness, MIT Press, 1984.
- Scientific Realism and the Plasticity of Mind, CambridgeUniversity Press, 1979.
- Selected Articles:
- "Conceptual Similarity Across Sensory and Neural Diversity: The Fodor/Lepore Challenge Answered." Journal of Philosophy, 95, No. 1, January, 1998.
- "The Neural Representation of Social Reality", reprinted in May, L., Friedman, M., and Clark, A., eds., Mind and Morals (Cambridge: The MIT Press, 1995).
- "A Feedforward Network for Fast Stereo Vision with Movable Fusion Plane," in Ford, K. and Hayes, P., eds., Android Epistemology: Human and Machine Cognition (AAAI Press/MIT Press, 1994).
- "On the Nature of Theories," Minnesota Studies in the Philosophy of Science, XIV.
- "Reduction, Qualia, and the Direct Introspection of Brain States," Journal of Philosophy, January 82, no. 2, 1985.
- "Eliminative Materialism and the Propositional Attitudes, Journal of Philosophy, 78, no. 2, February 198l.